for the continued growth & development of our kids and community.
- In order to protect our staff and other students we ask that you stay home if you are sick, and choose an online lesson instead. If you show up for lessons and are visibly ill you may be asked to go home.
- Teachers may ask their students if they are feeling well before the start of each lesson to help ensure the lesson can be conducted safely.
- If you or your child can not attend in person there will be the option in most cases to still take an online lesson at your scheduled time so you do not miss your lesson. Please speak with your instructor to discuss the details of taking lessons online or contact our office for assistance.
Singing & Wind/Reed Instruments
- All voice and wind/reed instruments have been offered online only since the start of the pandemic. In September 2021 we will return to in-person lessons in addition to online lessons. Teachers and students will be separated by plexiglass shielding and enhanced cleaning and sanitation between lessons. This policy will be monitored and reassessed as we go forward.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) & Social Distancing
- Until notified otherwise the use of face coverings will be required for all persons entering our facilities.
- Instructors and students are required to wear a face covering during an in-person lesson under the following conditions:
- when a student is unvaccinated
- if the student does not wish to disclose if they are vaccinated
- if requested to do so by the student’s parent or guardian.
- if requested by the instructor
- Office staff are required to wear a face covering at all times.
- Waiting rooms will have reduced capacity.
- Parents are requested to wait in their car during the lesson. This will not apply to those travelling by bus or who have other reasons that require them to remain inside.
- Please try to maintain proper physical distancing in all common areas. Floor markings will be present to assist with this.
- Students and parents are requested to use their own washroom BEFORE coming to the school. However, everyone will be permitted to use the washroom facilities when needed.
Hand Sanitizer, Wet Wipes... and Enhanced Cleaning Protocols
- Hand sanitizer will continue to be supplied in all teaching rooms and reception areas. Students and teachers are requested to use sanitizer before each lesson.
- Teachers will disinfect the classroom instruments as well as all other shared equipment and workstations after each lesson. Disinfectant wipes and cleaning cloths will be provided.
- Enhanced daily cleaning and the disinfecting of each location will continue at this time.
Private and Group Lesson Protocols
- At this time we are recommending that instructors continue to send all homework assignments by email and continue to communicate as much as possible with parents via email, text, or phone calls.
- In private lesson rooms the use of plexiglass barriers will continue at the discretion of the instructor or when requested by a student or parent. This will provide an extra layer of protection between teacher and student during the lesson. All classrooms are equipped with a mobile barrier that is easily rolled in and out of place as required and is height adjustable in lesson rooms that require students and teachers to stand while playing.
- Group classrooms are equipped with an individual plexiglass cubicle for each student. At this time students will continue to remain in their own workstation for the duration of the lesson. Group program students will receive their own set of required materials for use in the lesson. Students will be required to bring these materials to each lesson and are not to share other students' materials. There will be no sharing or limited sharing of other classroom items such as rhythm instruments.
- For all lessons, studio copies of lesson books will not be available if a student forgets their lesson books. Please remember to bring your lesson books and supplies to each lesson. If a student comes without their books, instructors will proceed with the lesson and will teach alternate material such as technique, theory, ear training, etc. Group program class sizes will continue to be smaller this year. The number of students will vary depending on the size of the classroom in order to allow for acceptable physical distancing.
Lesson Formats: Online / In-Person / Combination
- Our school continues to offer your choice of 3 lesson formats … In-person, Online or a combination of both. These lesson formats are available for most programs and instruments. There may be restrictions for taking online lessons for some first year group program classes. Please speak with your instructor to determine if restrictions apply to your class.
- All classrooms are equipped with ethernet ports/cables for the fastest and most stable wired connections. All lesson rooms have been equipped with good quality equipment such as a computer, large monitor, camera(s), microphone and speakers. This new equipment will enable your instructor to teach any lesson format required during their normal schedule and can also be used to enhance the resources available for in-person lessons.
- Lessons can be taught online according to individual student preferences or when needed due to illness or isolation requirements.