for the continued growth & development of our kids and community.
Current Operating Status
** All Programs are currently being offered ONLINE-ONLY effective November 11 until further notice **
Our mission is to continue providing quality music instruction to as many students as possible without compromising anybody's health or safety. We feel this is very doable by offering flexible lesson options whether it be in-person, online or a combination of both, in addition to everybody in our community making a sincere effort to understand, follow and stay up-to-date with all safety recommendations and mandates.
COVID-19 Screening Tool
Please familiarize yourself with the following online Covid-19 screening tool. We ask that you review it on a weekly basis before attending your lessons and follow the advice it provides about when to self-isolate and/or get tested for Covid-19.
- Covid-19 Screening Tool link: https://sharedhealthmb.ca/covid19/screening-tool/
Teachers will also ask their studenets a few basic questions before the start of each lesson to help ensure the lesson can be conducted safely.
- We ask that you stay home if you are sick, if you're living with someone who is sick and waiting to get tested, or if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positve for Covid-19. If you show up for lessons under any of these circumstances, you will be immediately sent home.
- Please understand that when someone does not adhere to this policy it creates a very difficult and stressful situation for everyone involved. We are taking this seriously and kindly ask that everyone else does too.
- If you or your child can not attend in person there will be the option in most cases to still take an online lesson at your scheduled time so you do not miss your lesson. Please speak with your instructor to discuss the details of taking lessons with them online or contact our office for assistance.
Singing & Wind/Reed Instruments
- All voice and wind/reed instruments are currently being offered online only. This policy will be monitored and reassessed as we go forward. Group music programs for young children that normally include singing will be modified to exclude all singing activities until further notice.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Masks are mandatory in our facilities for everyone at all times. This includes parents coming inside briefly to drop off their children. Wearing a mask is especially important during an in-person music lesson as well as in reception areas, hallways and any other common areas between lessons. Teachers are also required to keep their masks on at all times, even while alone inside their classroom during an online lesson or while waiting for their next student.
- Disposable masks will be available if someone arrives without wearing one (younger children may wear face shields if necessary).
Limited Group Class Sizes
- The number of students allowed in a group class has been reduced for most classrooms in order to implement proper physical distancing. Classroom activity tables have been removed. Students will remain in their own plexiglass-keyboard-cubicle for the duration of their lesson. See below for more information on group lessons.
Limited Washroom Usage
- Washrooms will be “Out of Service” and for staff use only. Students and parents should use their own washroom BEFORE coming to the school. Everyone will be permitted to use the washroom facilities when absolutely needed.
Hand Sanitizer, Wet Wipes... and Enhanced Cleaning Protocols
- Hand sanitizer will be supplied in all teaching rooms and reception areas. Students and teachers must use sanitizer before each lesson.
- Teachers will be required to thoroughly wipe down the classroom instruments as well as all other shared equipment and workstations after each lesson. Disinfectant wipes and cloths will be provided.
- There will be enhanced daily cleaning and disinfecting of each location every day.
Staggered Lesson Times
- Depending on the size of the location and number of students who are scheduled to start or stop their lessons at any given time we may need to alter your lesson time by 5 to 15 minutes so that all rooms do NOT start and end at the same time. This will help us reduce foot traffic in our hallways and waiting rooms between lessons and adhere to whatever occupancy limits are in place.
- After each lesson teachers will take time to wipe down shared surfaces in the lesson room. Instead of leaving time between every lesson for this cleaning your lesson may run a minute or two late. So as not to get too far behind schedule as the day progresses we will be inserting one or two small breaks (5 minutes) during your teacher’s schedule after every 3 or 4 lessons if necessary. This break will put the schedule back on time for students with a later lesson time.
- All group classes have been scheduled with a 10 or 15 minute break between each class in order to allow sufficient time for students to exit, cleaning of instruments, and a new class to come in.
Limited & Controlled Access in studios
- Waiting Rooms: There will be limited access to the waiting rooms. Most chairs will be removed from the waiting rooms and parents will be asked to only come into the studio for dropping off or picking up their children, to make a payment, or conduct other business. We are requesting that parents wait in their car or outside the school during your child’s lesson. Older students will be expected to arrive and depart on their own. This will not apply to those travelling by bus or who have other reasons that require them to remain inside.
- Entering & Exiting a lesson: When arriving for your lesson please try to maintain proper physical distancing. Floor markings will be present to assist with this. Instructors will come to the waiting room to get students and take them to the lesson room. At the end of the lesson your instructor will follow rules put in place to accompany students back to the waiting room. Students should walk directly to the waiting room and then exit the school. Parents are asked to please be on time and waiting for your child after the lesson.
- We are asking our instructors, as much as possible, to communicate with parents via email, text, or phone calls instead of our usual practice of speaking at the end of the lesson. This will help reduce unnecessary congestion in the waiting room.
Plexiglass Barriers, Physical Distancing & No-Sharing-Policy
- For students’ homework assignments, instructors should use email rather than writing in dictation books.
- Studio copies of lesson books will not be available. It is expected that students will bring their books and materials to every lesson. If a student comes without their books, instructors will proceed with the lesson teaching alternate material such as technique, theory, ear training, etc.
- Private lesson rooms will be equipped with a mobile plexiglass barrier for use between the teacher and the student. This will provide an extra layer of protection between teacher and student during the lesson. This barrier is easily rolled in and out of place as required and is height adjustable in lesson rooms that require that students and teacher to stand while playing.
- Group classrooms will be equipped with a plexiglass cubicle attached to each keyboard stand and will be spaced 2 metres apart. All tables have been removed. Students will remain in their plexiglass-keyboard-cubicle for the duration of the lesson. Each student will receive a tote bag with their own set of required materials. They will also receive a face shield.
- Groups will be smaller this year. The number of students will vary depending on the size of the classroom in order to accommodate physical distancing, no sharing of items, including no rhythm instruments to be used and no singing. Workbook assignments will be done at the keyboard. Please remember to bring your tote bag with books and supplies to each lesson. We cannot supply books or materials if they are forgotten. There will be a charge to replace lost books or materials.
- All reception desks are now equipped with a plexiglass barrier.
Lesson Formats: Online / In-Person / Combination
- Our school offers 3 lesson formats … In-person, Online or a combination of both. These lesson formats are available for most programs and instruments except lessons for voice, flute, saxophone and clarinet which will be online only until further notice. There may also be online restrictions for some beginner group classes.
- To ensure our teachers are able to meet a higher standard when conducting their music lessons online we've made some big changes to the technological infrastructure they have access to while teaching from our studios. All of our studios' internet service plans have been upgraded with plenty of speed and bandwidth to meet our teachers' new requirements for going online. All classrooms have been equipped with ethernet ports/cables for the fastest and most stable wired connections. All lesson rooms have been equipped with good quality equipment such as a computer, large monitor, camera(s), microphone and speakers. This new equipment will enable your instructor to teach any lesson format required during their normal schedule and has the potential to be used to enhance the quality of their in-person lessons.
- Lessons can be taught online according to individual student preferences or when needed due to isolation requirements.