Yamaha - Junior Music Course
for children 4 1/2 & 5 years old
Developing the MUSICAL CHILD from within...
Junior Music Course is offered at THREE Tauber Music locations
All locations, equipment and program content has been modified to keep students safe. Activity tables have been removed to create more space so students can keep a safe distance from each other. Each student will have their own plexiglass-keyboard-cubicle where all activities are to be done. We currently have a no-sharing-of-items and no-singing policy in effect.
Books and materials needed for this program will be issued at the beginning of the year to each student as well as a complimentary face shield. Face masks will also be available for students who forget to bring their own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). As our preference is to err on the side of caution regardless of current government mandates, facemasks and/or shields for all students, parents, teachers & staff at Tauber Music will be mandatory while in our facilities.
Early childhood is an ideal time to start music lessons. At this age, the ear is at its peak of sensitivity. Learning music is as natural as learning to speak.
Through extensive research over many decades the Yamaha Music Foundation has shown that a child's ear develops most rapidly between the ages of four and six. Since hearing development is so closely related to learning music, this is the ideal time to start developing music skills. The Yamaha Junior Music Course is designed to take advantage of these important learning years and give students the best possible beginning in the development of basic music skills.
As the parent is the essential link between the class experience and successful practice at home, both child and parent or guardian attend the weekly lesson and share the joy of learning music with one another.
During the weekly one hour lesson students will enjoy a variety of activities that include:
- Ear Training
- Keyboard & Site Playing
- Rhythm Training
- Ensemble Training
- Creative Workbook Activities
- Sight Reading & Verbalization
- Singing with Lyrics (Currently Restricted - Covid-19)
This unique and creative approach to learning music centers on developing the three essential elements of pitch, harmony, and rhythm. The Junior Music Course develops the musical child from within.
Lesson Fees & Details
- Eligibility– for students ages 4 & 5. MUST turn 4 by March 15. **PARENT PARTICIPATION REQUIRED**
- Duration– 45 minutes
- Term– 10 months from September to June; 36-38 classes (Late registrations will be accepted until the end of the first week of October if space is available in a class).
- Registration Deposit – At registration a fee of $20.00 is payable to reserve a student's place in the class.
- Program Fee* – $82.00 per month for 10 months; No taxes; No contract; Lessons are month to month. This program qualifies for the Manitoba Children's Arts and Cultural Activity Credit.
- Books & Materials – Students will receive 2 sets of books and materials. Book sets are purchased in September and January and are not included in the monthly tuition fee. Please ask for details.
- Practice Instrument – A free keyboard rental is included in JMC Level One for students requiring a home practice instrument (a $5.00 rental insurance fee will apply to all free keyboard rentals).
- Family Lesson Discount – when 2 or more immediate family members are registered for lessons, a monthly lesson discount will be applied to each student. Please ask for details.
-- all posted fees are subject to change without notice --
*A monthly lesson discount will apply when you arrange to pay your account with post-dated cheques or by pre-authorized chequing. Does not apply to Apple Course, Aptitude Music Program, RCM Theory or playLOUD programs.
What's after JMC?
Upon completion of the Junior Music Course, students will continue their study of music with private instruction on the instrument of their choice.
In addition to the Yamaha Music Courses offered at our school our qualified instructors will continue your music education with private instruction in recognized programs from the Royal Conservatory of Music and others. Choose from piano, guitar, keyboard, violin, voice, drums and more.
For details on private lesson programs available at our school please go to the Home Page and select the instrument you are interested in viewing.